Sunday, May 22, 2011

Treasuring Mommy-hood

I had a terrible dream last night. Surprisingly, not about my husband, since it was his first night away in a while. Instead I dreamed that both our children died. No terrible incident or gory event. We were just driving along, they were in their car seats, and they never woke up. Next thing I know I'm at their funeral, burying both my kids, and crying uncontrollably. It was horrible! Of course when I woke up I was relieved that it was just a dream, but the first thing I did was rush to their rooms and make sure they were ok. It was already morning, so they were awake, and those good-morning hugs and kisses were so sweet!
I resolved to treasure this day, and not to have a bad attitude about being a temporary single-mom. And you know what? We had an AMAZING day! The kids were great at church, then we enjoyed donuts afterwards. There is a carnival on base, so we went to that for a while and they had a great time on the Carousel and other rides. Then they took long naps, I relaxed, made dinner, and we had a quiet evening watching home videos and playing together. Sweet and beautiful.
Mommy-hood might be a tough job, but I woke up today realizing what a truly WONDERFUL job it is. It is a gift that can be taken away at any moment. People are always saying that kids grow up too fast. I confess that for the past few months I have been hoping mine would grow up just a little faster. With the new baby coming, I am eager for the oldest to learn to dress herself, and for the youngest to learn to feed himself, so that I do not have 3 helpless children to take care of! But no matter how helpless and frustrating they are, I am lucky to be their mom, and would never give them up. I am hoping to hold onto this positive attitude at least for the next month that we are on our own. I resolve to not sweat the small stuff, and to truly treasure my time with my great little kids. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think our crazy dreams are gods way of bringing us back to the simple things. I had a similar dream a while back and since then have treasure every minute more than I ever have and it feels great. I love knowing that when it is mine (or someone elses) time I will have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete